As a CDAP user, I want to monitor the programs and pipelines runs.
The user can view Pipeline and/or Custom Apps runs organized in a timeline, which is displayed in 24 hours time range by default.
The bar chart tracks both the number and type of runs, as well as the time delay between when the run has been started and when is actually running.
By default, the Runs Timeline is displayed in 24-hour range. Where activities within that hour are tracked and summarized.
The following metrics are displayed by default:
- Last 24 hours
- The total number of pipeline runs started manually within that hour
- The total number of pipeline runs started by a schedule or triggered by another pipeline.
- The total number of pipelines running during that time range.
- The aggregate value of the delay between all the pipelines starting and actually running. For pipelines which starting delay span across multiple time ranges, that delay is summarized per time range.
E.g.: Pipeline 1 is starting between 1:45pm and 2:05pm
The delay recorded in the 1pm time range is: 15 min
The delay recorded in the 2pm time range is: 2 min
Customizing the view of the timeline
The user can customize the view of the timelines in a few ways:
- By determining which metrics are displayed: the user can select or deselect which runs (pipelines or Custom Aps); which Start Method (E.g.: Scheduled/triggered, Successful, etc.) and which of the statuses of the pipelines (Running, Successful, Failed) are displayed in the chart.
- By scrolling forward or backward the timeline using the side arrows.
The user can also view or hide the metrics that track the delay between starting a pipeline/program and the actual run by selecting or deselecting the checkbox in the legend.
- By zooming in a specific time range, by clicking and dragging onto the timeline.
Zooming into a time range
The user can access a granular view, by clicking and dragging from any given point in the timeline.
Zoom Demo https://www.highcharts.com/demo/line-time-series
Resetting to "Last 24 hour" view
The user can do a quick time reset, by selecting the "Last 24 hour" button.
- Selecting the "Last 24 hour" reposition the timeline to the last 24 hours
- The button appears as selected (gray background) until the user scroll through the timeline, then the button state changes to "active" (white background)
- The "Runs Timeline" chart has two Y-axis: one to count the number of runs (bars); one to track the starting delay time(line chart).
- The user can zoom into a specific time interval by clicking and dragging the cursor over any of the charts. The chart will display data in a more granular view, with shorter intervals down to 5 minutes intervals, when the user zooms into 1 hour.
- 24 hours is the biggest time range displayed in increments (or "slots") of 1 hour each
- 1 hour is the smallest time range, which is displayed in 5 min increments. [^Dashboard View Hourly.png]
- There are clear labels for the time ranges displayed in the timeline.
• In a 24-hour view, the day of the week and the full date is displayed to label the time period displayed
• If a 24-hour range span across two days, both dates are displayed. A thicker line between 11 pm and 12 am time slots is displayed to signify the day change.
• In an hourly time view, the labels include the day of the week, the date, plus the time range and the interval displayed: e.g.: Sun. Nov. 5; 2017 7pm - 8pm (5 min. interval)
- The user can advance or regress the timeline by clicking the side arrows.
• The timeline advances or regresses in increments half of the full view of the chart. E.g.: in a 24-hour view, the timeline advances/regresses in 12 hours increments.
• The timeline can only regress 1 week (168 hrs). The user can zoom into any of those hours to view more granular details.
• The timeline can only advance 24 hours in the future: the only metrics displayed are the number of scheduled/triggered pipelines.
- The chart is automatically refreshed and updated every 10 minutes.
- All charts are updated to display the timeline selection
- The "Reset Zoom" button is displayed when the user zooms into a time range. It restores the chart to the 24-hour view from which the user originally zoomed in (not necessarily the "last 24-hour" view)
- All the charts are automatically updated to reflect the zoom selection.
- The user can view all the runs displayed in the main bar chart by selecting “Show runs” in the bottom left corner.
- The user can view details about metrics by hovering on to each of the bars. Dashboard View - hovers.png
- The following metrics are surfaced:
Time range (e.g. 7 - 8pm)
Day and Date (Sun. Nov. 5, 2017)
Total count for that bar (# of pipeline running)
label: "Click to view runs"
- The chart has a table view of the all the metrics surfaced in a tabular view. Dashboard View - Tables.png
- To view a specific time range, first the user has to selected in the chart view, by clicking and dragging across the chart,
- The table view can be downloaded in Excel format.