Currently, any bad URLs for the docs are sent to a 404 page that is a simple redirect to the main page for the documentation. And, currently, the main page for the documentation is the index page of the Developers’ Manual.
This means that not only do users not receive any help with looking for what they need, they may be sent to a manual that is different than the one they are in or interested in.
We should provide some appropriate 404 resources:
- A page indicating that the URL was incorrect/bad
- A search dialog, so they search if they wish
- links to each of the separate Manuals, so they can pick where to to go next.
- There could be links to the Table of Contents of each Manual; that might be the best place to send people.
- Graphics could be copied from the Cask website to provide a consistent theme.